Sep 8, 2010

No charge, indie, point-and-click excellence in three parts

The summer is gone, a most interesting winter is just around the corner and here are three lovely, new, point-and-click, freeware and quite independent adventure games to keep your minds off the seas and on them yellowy pleasures of autumn. Prepare to happily point, click and think your way around these beauties:

Astro Galaxy Mega Quest VIII

Or, to give it its full title, Astro Galaxy Mega Quest VIIII: The Half Moon of Ray'don, Chapter 008.52 - Sci/Psy/Psi/SighBots of the Past (Historical Simulation Series) Editor's Choice Edition, is another offering by AGS master and designer of -among other stuff- Eternally Us Ben 304. The music is great, the visuals sharp as ever and you get to play as Master Chef in a very Sierra-esque adventure. Download it here.

Le Miserables: The Game of the Book

This one is a very impressive adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic (Marx never quite liked it, mind) and quite revolutionary (in the political sense, that is) story, that used to be a proper commercial adventure game. Well, no more it seems, as the developers have been kind enough to provide us all with free copies of the thing via their lovely site. The game's artwork and of course the writing are simply jaw-dropping.

The Journey Down: Over the Edge

Corruption and adventure in the first episode of the highly promising The Journey Down, err, episodic adventure series. Won't spoil anything for you. Just follow the link and you'll thank me. Preferably by sending in crates of Dom Perignon.

Related @ Gnome's Lair:

13 comments:

  1. Over the Edge, particularly, is a very fun adventure game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't finished it yet, but it seems you're absolutely right there Jonathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't played the others yet (though both are sitting on my HDD! :[D) - but The Journey Down as spectacularly good. You'll love it, especially as some of the backgroudns were very MI2-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High praise indeed. Thanks dear Captain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More cool games to check out and at my favorite price point no less - thanks! Reading your blog has my adventure game queue running out the door. I still haven't even hit Sanitarium yet, but I did pick it up based on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allow me to recommend the other two titles here much more enthusiastically that my own minor joke game.

    Over the Edge is one I've been following since I played an early alpha nearly a year ago, and I can recommend it as much as I'd recommend any of my favorite adventures from the 90s!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ MadPlanet: I'm really sorry my friend, but you should see my own adventure gaming queue. Shocking. That's why I'll properly revive the Great Adventure Gaming Project. I suggest you start something like it yourself. Should help clear the queue for Asylum.

    @ Ben304: What a modest wise Ben you are, oh Ben. Mind you, 't is a great joke game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One day I'm gonna keep up to date with all those wonderful indie games... I hope it won't take too much since I left the scene one year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now worries there Mik. Chances of being left behind are minimal as all you'll have to do is try the games that seem tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is their something I am missing with Le Miserables?

    It seems that the interaction, click on any person and then click on any object on any screen no matter how far away just adds so many possibilities that I got lost pretty quickly.

    And the artwork is so minimalist it is very hard to tell what some things are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't really gone far in the game Jonathon, but it frankly doesn't seem like the easiest game to navigate, let alone finish. I will persevere at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  12. They all look interesting, especially the last one - it's a bummer I barely have time for my regular stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really should see my schedule... Really.

    ReplyDelete